Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Platform 21 Blog Tour

Displaying platform.jpg





*Best Debut Author of 2013" award from the Bookworm Best Awards* 

The Role of Music in Writing, and Platform 21 

Art is a living, breathing element. We crave art and the beauty it brings our lives. Without it, our world would be cold and passionless. Music, in particular, is a very special kind of art. Just about any other type of artist draws from music for inspiration. As for me, I can’t remember a time when I could sit down and write much of anything without music. It became so important to this journey of mine that without it, I don’t think it would have been possible for me to find the story that I did. My debut novel, Platform 21, is connected to a variety of songs and music. Music breathed life into my writing. As a result, I often feel the music moving through me and onto the pages of my story. It’s an absolute joy when this happens – it just becomes a necessary part of the process once you experience it. 

Music became so interweaved with my writing experience, I can link a song for just about every chapter in my book. “This Bitter Earth / On the Nature of Daylight” by Dinah Washington and Max Richter followed me throughout much of my writing, but I could definitely feel it with me when I wrote the climactic experience in Chapter One. “Bleeding Out,” by Imagine Dragons became the anthem for the two main characters and the sacrifices they make for each other throughout the book. Their partnership was strangely destined, almost pre-determined. Though they struggle with each other as their inner turmoil overflows, they still knew to find comfort in each other’s arms. Now, as I’m writing Book 2 of Beyond the Veil, ‘The Vorago Initiative,’ when I think about these two characters I can’t help but to listen to “All of Me” by John Legend. Their story just pours through the music – I almost can’t help myself but to stop and think about all of it when the right tune comes on. 

Some of the music even made it on to the pages of my book. East Liverpool, OH - the setting for Platform 21, is home to one of the greatest hymnists of all time. Will Thompson called this little potter’s town home and he even donated a large plot of land to the city to be used as a park. To this day, the park still remains, and so does the spirit of his music. Pulling from his long list of hymns, two made it into the book. Both “It’s going to be a great day,” and “Softly and Tenderly,” were essential elements to crafting the story, and setting the mood in critical parts of the book. I remember when I conducted the research to connect Thompson hymns to the book. A journey I thought would take days only took minutes. This music seamlessly weaved its way into the fabric of the story, and in many ways set the tone for the book and even the rest of the series. 

For the first time in my writing career, I was moved to compose an original set of lyrics. One of the most fascinating characters of the book, Jessica, is a contestant on a singing competition show called, “American Diva.” It’s an all-female singing competition, and she manages to snag a spot in the finals. Just before her second performance on the big stage in Las Vegas – a terrible event happens in her home town. As a tribute to her friends, family, and neighbors, she writes an original song. This moment had to be written perfectly, as Jessica’s place in the series is a very important one and she doesn’t get much ‘screen-time’ in the first book. What resulted (strangely in only a matter of minutes of writing on my part) was a song that related not only to her, but also many of the other characters in the book. In fact, the song became relevant in two different places. What resulted was perhaps one of the most memorable scenes I’ve ever written, all while giving a voice to a moment so heart wrenching, it would have been impossible to write without. 

However, the music just didn’t stop there. After releasing the book to Kindle, I started to get e-mails from readers who submitted their own playlist of songs they felt helped inspire the book. The range of music sent to me was a bit overwhelming and exciting. Readers felt music in my writing. They made the connection and feverishly searched for their own piece of musical influence. Songs like “The Royal We” by the Silversun Pickups, and “Wake Me Up” by Avicii started hitting my inbox. I’ve never heard of these songs before, but after listening to them – I felt like I’ve known the music for many years. 

It’s all just a bit of magic that stemmed not through my writing, but rather, the music that inspired me. Inspiration and passion travels full circle. It is my hope my writing will inspire others to create powerful works of art. It would be one of the greatest gifts and honors I could ever receive. Just think, it all started with a song, and in the end – it became something much bigger that could potentially grow and grow long after I’ve finished walking this earth. 

ABOUT PLATFORM 21 

Luke’s life is about to take a dangerous turn. But first he has to die. 

In the year 2052, high school sophomore Luke Gibson considers himself an average teenager in a world on the brink of monumental change. Joining his parents and sister, Laura, at the first World Energy Initiative Conference, he is among thousands gathered in a Denver arena to celebrate free renewable energy when a massive earthquake strikes killing everyone in the stadium. The last thing Luke sees before his death is a girl reaching out to him—a stranger whose face he remembers from his dreams. 

The end, however, is not the end. Suddenly, inexplicably, Luke is back home in Ohio and everything is different. His sister is gone, the victim in an unsolved homicide years before. Angela, his mysterious dream girl, is here also, and the only person besides Luke who recalls the previous reality. And now their determination to uncover the truth about Laura’s murder and their transformed world is making them targets—forced to flee for their lives from a nameless shadow organization and a government seeking vengeance for an unthinkable act of terror—as they stand on the threshold of a dark conspiracy that threatens all humankind. 

With Platform 21, a brilliantly inventive and unrelentingly exciting excursion to a troubled near-future, author T.R. Patrick joins the ranks of Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games), Veronica Roth (Divergent), Pittacus Lore (I Am Number Four) and other masters of YA speculative suspense fiction. The first book in the “Beyond the Veil” series, Platform 21 follows teenager Luke Gibson up to and beyond his death in a horrific terrorist attack in Denver in the year 2052. Reawakening in a world strangely transformed, Luke sets out to uncover the truth about his new reality—joining forces with Angela, a girl he had seen previously in his dreams, in a desperate race for survival that will propel them across the threshold of an insidious global conspiracy that threatens the future of all humanity. 

PURCHASE NOW 

Amazon Kindle 

Paperback 

*****Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below***** 

 Displaying TR.jpg
Author Bio Author Timothy R. Patrick, born in 1985, started writing when he was only nine, delivering his first short story to his Mom for her birthday. Since then, writing has been an incredible passion. Every chance he could write, he took it. He even scratched out a few stories in Naval Boot Camp at Great Lakes, Illinois.

Tim spent four years in the Navy achieving the rank of Petty Officer 2nd class. He served three years aboard USS Chosin and was deployed twice in support of the Global War on Terror, and Iraqi Freedom. However, he would always be remembered as the guy who sat in the corner of the mess decks writing a book he would never release. He said it wasn't good enough.

After his time in the Navy, Tim became a Test Engineer working for companies like Scientific Research Corporation and Hewlett Packard. During this phase of his life he moved to Charleston, South Carolina where he bought a home and tried to settle into the American Dream. But Tim wasn't content with that, he wanted to do something more than work the 9 to 5. So, he tried his hand at politics and ran for Dorchester County Council as an Independent. They said he was too young and verbose. After losing the election, he decided to try his hand at writing instead.

Today, Timothy Patrick is the author of, Platform 21 - the first installment of the "Beyond the Veil" series. Platform 21 is a novel set in the near future which follows a young man on a journey to solve his sister's murder in the midst of global conspiracy. His current project is, The Vorago Initiative - which picks up right where Platform 21 left off.

 ENTER THE GIVEAWAY

1 comment:

  1. essay writing site poweredessays.com have a nice look to me in your writing concept. That is related about the book writing. I hope such kind of concept help us a lot to write more.

    ReplyDelete