Sunday, September 15, 2013

Indie Credible Author Tour: Author Interview: Kait Nolan

*Indie Credible Author Tour*

Please welcome Kait Nolan to Fantasy Book Chick

Kait Nolan is stuck in an office all day, sometimes juggling all three of her jobs at once with the skill of a trained bear—sometimes with a similar temperament. After hours, she uses her powers for good, creating escapist fiction. The work of this Mississippi native is packed with action, romance, and the kinds of imaginative paranormal creatures you’d want to sweep you off your feet…or eat your boss.  When she’s not working or writing, she’s in her kitchen, heading up a revolution to Retake Homemade from her cooking blog, Pots and Plots.  You can catch up with her at her blogTwitterFacebook, or  Goodreads

Author Interview

Tell us a little about yourself...
What do you enjoy doing when not writing?  
The same thing I do every night--try to take over the world.  What?  We all need a hobby.  When I succeed and establish my new world order, the option for a daily nap will be reinstated for adults across the world (c'mon, you know you've been envying your kindergartener).  Also, I shall abolish Daylight Savings Time.  We will pick one and LEAVE IT.  I know this is a radical concept.  I can't imagine how the planet survived centuries under exactly those conditions.  When not planning world domination, I'm probably sleeping or cooking.  I'm a major foodie, and I really love coming up with new recipes and trying new foods.  My husband is an extremely good sport about this habit!  I also love movies, reading, and walks with my dogs.
When did you begin writing? 
I started my first book back when I was in sixth grade.  My BFF at the time and I decided it would be a great project.  Naturally we were the intrepid heroines.  After being rewritten and updated annually as we ourselves aged, the book fell by the wayside, but the writing bug had definitely struck.  I wrote all through school and college, but I didn't start seriously pursuing professional writing until I finished grad school.
Do you listen to music, drink coffee, etc. while writing?  
For me, it's all about the movie scores.  I can't listen to anything with words when I'm writing or I'll end up singing (sometimes dancing...what happens behind closed doors...We aren't even gonna talk about how many times I've seen Pitch Perfect and the fact that I know almost all the songs from Glee) and generally not focused on the task at hand.  But movie scores are awesome mood music.  There are gobs of them out there that can really help me get into the right headspace for a scene.  Spotify keeps me from going broke listening to all of them.  As to beverage, the correct answer is always a cup of hot tea.  Brewed strong enough to stand up and dance on the table, cream and sugar, please.
What book are you currently reading, just finished reading or going to read next? 
I've been doing a lot of reading this summer.  I recently finished all of Donna Kauffman's Cupcake Club series.  I've been listening to Nora Roberts's Key of Knowledge in audio.  And I am about to start Katie MacAlister's Steamed.
Who are some of your favorite authors?   
Nora Roberts, Nalini Singh, Kelley Armstrong, Maggie Stiefvater, Julie Kagawa, Susan Bischoff, Claire Legrand, and Meljean Brook
What other projects are you working on or have coming out next? 
 I am just about to release the next book in my Mirus series, Riven.  
A permanent injury in the line of duty effectively ended Ian Ryker's career as a Shadow Walker for the Council of Races. Being posted to a safe house in Brookland was one step short of forced retirement--until the day Marley Weiss, a local human woman, witnessed something she should never have seen. According to Mirus law, that glimpse of their world makes her life forfeit. Another time, Ian might have followed orders to take her out. But not this time. 
This is a departure from the characters we've met in the prior stories, and I hope readers enjoy this new crew as much as they've loved the old.  That said, I promise I'm not abandoning the other characters!  Next, I'm finishing up my first foray into the contemporary romance genre, Be Careful, It's My Heart, a novella that I hope to release in time for the Christmas season.  
Why did you choose to write this genre?   
As a general rule, I find real life excessively boring.  I spend most of my time in staff meetings at the Evil Day Job imagining alien invasions or ninjas interrupting the meeting (anything to break the monotony).  I find that it's so much more fun to imagine the possibilities of Other, and I prefer to think that Hamlet was right when he said that there are more things in heaven and earth.  
If you could be any paranormal or have a supernatural talent what would it be and why? 
I want the ability to be a human Time Turner.  Because it doesn't look like we're any closer to colonizing a planet with a 36 hour day, and it seems like that's the only way I'll ever get everything done AND have time for a nap!
Tell us why readers will enjoy reading your book...
In a market flooded with vampire fiction of all kinds, fans tend to like my Mirus series because it's a unique world, based on a great many mythologies that aren't commonly known.  I think they like the element of surprise that comes from that.  In terms of this particular book, Riven gives us new creatures, new characters, new challenges, as well as a deeper look into the world of the Shadow Walkers.  And it will, I hope, keep them on the edge of their seats!


Here's Kait new book Riven, check it out!
 


Riven

A permanent injury in the line of duty effectively ended Ian Ryker’s career as a Shadow Walker for the Council of Races.  Being posted to a safe house in Washington, D.C. was one step short of forced retirement–until the day Marley Weiss, a local human woman, witnessed something she should never have seen.  According to Mirus law, that glimpse of their world makes her life forfeit.  Once, Ian might have followed orders to take her out.  But not this time.
Available at AmazonBarnes and Noble,and Smashwords (with iBooks, Kobo, Diesel, and Sony to come).
 

a Rafflecopter giveaway

*Fantasy Book Chick (and to my knowledge) author Kait Nolan are not part of the giveway but lots of authors are!*

Make sure you stop by all these awesome blogs!

Sunday, September 15, 2013


*Here's the link to the full schedule*

1 comment: