Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review: The Sword Guest (Dragon's Pupils #1) by Martin Chu Shui

The Sword Guest (Dragon's Pupils, #1) 

Book: The Sword Guest (Dragon's Pupils #1) 
Author: Martin Chu Shui
Publisher: Martin Chu Shui
Rating: 3 Stars
Level: Young Adult
Source: e-book Review Copy

Summary from Goodreads:

The story centers on Liz, born of half Australian and of half Chinese descent. Growing up in Australia, she isnt very interested in her fathers ancient Chinese stories. She is concerned with problems that are far more contemporary such as environmental issues, and particularly her friends handsome brother who is an environmental activist. But her disinterest in Chinese culture changes when her two worlds collide, after a catastrophic accident sets thousands of ancient monsters loose near her home. Suddenly Liz must learn many new skills and call on all of her Chinese heritage if she is to prevent the monsters from destroying Earth. Helped by her twin brother and best friend, Liz sets out to discover why the monsters exist and how to stop them. When she is injured in a battle, she must travel to China to seek a cure that is spiritual as much as it is physical. But can she find the old man who can help her before the monsters catch her? How will she manage in a country that is so strange and yet so familiar? And can she learn enough about a world she has ignored to stop the monsters in time?

My Review:
 
The Sword Guest was a fun and interesting read. I wasn't sure at first what I thought of this but by the end I enjoyed reading it.

Liz, her twin brother Henry and their friend Sue are 14 years old. In their spare time they take karate lessons and are concerned with environmental issues. Since they can remember Liz and Henry have been listening to their father's stories about Chinese culture. One day when they are out enjoying a picnic with their families they find out that things are not what they thought. They discover things about their karate teacher, themselves and their culture. As the story goes along Liz leaves Australia for a few days to see what she can find out in China. This all leads up to the dramatic ending. Will they be able to save their families and themselves? I don't want to give anything away so I suggest you read it, I think you'll enjoy it.

This is geared to a younger reader but I'm in my 30's and I enjoyed it. It was somewhat of a change from what I normally read. This did not have romance which I love in books but it was not needed in this one. There was not a lot of character background or development but the action and adventure kept me happily reading to the end.

This e-book was provided to me by the author for review. This did not affect my review in any way. 

Connect with the author: Goodreads   

Purchase the book (Was free when I was getting this post ready):  Amazon  

No comments:

Post a Comment