Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Uncontrollable Blog Tour: Guest Post

Please welcome S.R. Johannes to Fantasy Book Chick...

S.R. Johannes has recently released Uncontrollable (The Nature of Grace #2).  She has been kind of enough to stop by on her blog tour and provide us all with a guest post.  

 Summary:
 As Grace recovers from tragedy, her science class is chosen by Agent Sweeney at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to help with research on the new "Red Wolf Reintroduction Program".

While she’s excited about helping with the conservation of the endangered wolves, Grace knows this means being outdoors in the worst winter recorded, in a place she no longer feels comfortable. It also means working closely with Wyn (her ex) and his annoying girlfriend (Skyler), a girl whose idea of getting close to nature is picking silk plants and growing fake plants.

After a couple of wolves show up dead, Grace almost quits. However, when a fellow project team member goes missing, Grace continues the assignment under a renewed suspicion that someone might be sabotaging the conservation program. She quietly begins to hunt for clues.

Little does she know, she is being hunted too. 



*S.R. Johannes Guest Post*
 
Touching on Conservation...

Since conversation is one of your passions, what is it that makes you so passionate about it?  How do you take your love for conversation and fit it into The Nature of Grace series?

I was the kid who was constantly saving animals. The kid who would scream when I spotted a turtle in the road. I would yell at my dad to pull over and he would help me get the turtle or any other animal off the highway. I remember driving by the animals that didn’t make it and feeling so devastated, I would cry. I think my family thought I was crazy but something inside of me always hurt so deeply when I saw animals hurting in some way.

That wasn’t it. I was the kid who cried at dolphin shows and circuses. Not because I was happy, but because I felt so awful for the animals in captivity. I still do. When I got older, I became the rescuer taking in dogs, fixing them up, and placing them in homes. The one who hates killing bugs because I feel bad snuffing out a life of any kind.

Conservation has always been a concern of mine, but especially with the recent issues with climate change, oil spills, logging of rain forests, and over-development of strip malls. I mean, I am the only person I know that tears up EVERY time I watch Lorax.

My love for animals and nature runs very deep and I’ve always felt that way.

When I saw the bear pits in North Carolina, it broke my heart. I could not stop thinking about them and needed to do something to bring attention to them. I had been looking for a new idea for Untraceable and found a way to weave in conservation –with animals and nature –for teens. I think teens are our future so if I can thrill them and bring light to something they may not know much about – then that is awesome.

To find out more about the red wolves in Uncontrollable:

  1. Find out more about the Red Wolf Recovery Program
  2. Learn about the Red Wolf Re-establishment Program at Alligator River National Refuge.
  3. To sign a petition to bring back the red wolves or to save them from extinction
  4. Learn about the timeline of the red wolf

To help the black bears in Untraceable:

  1. Sign my petition on Change.org to close the bear pits in Cherokee, North Carolina.
  2. Find out how the game show host, Bob Barker, has been working to close the bear pits.
  3. Help Peta in their work to close Cherokee bear pits.
  4. Join organizations that are helping to stop the illegal trade and poaching of the black bear such as WSA.
  5. Find out more from WWF about bear illegal trading and the bile trade in Asia.
  6. Find out about some campaigns to stop illegal wildlife trade.



Connect with S.R. Johannes:  Website  Twitter  Facebook  Pinterest 



 


2 comments:

  1. I think this is such an important thing to know about the books, it really makes all the difference to me.

    -K8
    http://froze8.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete