Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Review: The Spell Master (Journey into the Realm #2) by Markelle Grabo

The Spell Master by Markelle Grabo 

Book: The Spell Master (Journey into the Realm #2)
Author: Markelle Grabo
Publisher: Booklocker.com
Rating: 5 Stars
Level: Young Adult
Source: Paperback Review Copy

Summary from Goodreads: 
After discovering her true heritage and rescuing her sister, Ramsey Wilder is finally adjusting to life in the Elf Realm. She still has a lot to learn though, especially about her new power, which makes her start in ability school extremely convenient. But even as she immerses herself in school life, the secret she has yet to learn continues to linger in the back of her mind, as well as thoughts of Finn and his dangerous promise to return. And with Stellan away at war and Zora acting strange, Ramsey has no one to turn to but Nathan, an elf from school with much more to him than spells and a sarcastic sense of humor – one that Ramsey can't help but gravitate toward. And as danger reenters Ramsey's life, the terror and mystery only brings them closer together, threatening her future with Stellan and jeopardizing her relationship with her sister.

Ramsey can't lie to herself forever about what – and who – she truly desires, but is she ready for more changes to be a part of her already uncertain future? In this thrilling second installment, the key to Ramsey's secret may very well also unlock the secrets to her heart.

My Review:
The Spell Master is a great follow up to Journey into the Realm. It is a fun, adventurous fantasy that you won't want to put down.

Ramsey is excited to start school in the elf realm but a little sad because her boyfriend Stellan is off fighting in the war. She desperately wants to find out her secret but her sister Zora refuses to tell her. Ramsey finds that school in the elf realm is so much more fun and interesting than in the human realm. She makes new friends the first day, including one of which will betray her and one who will love her.

Ramsey meets Nathan, an elf she has met before and recognizes by his eyes. If you have read the first book you will know what I'm talking about. Ramsey and Nathan become friends and become very close over time. Once she learns that he is a spell master, together they discover her secret. This is only the beginning, together they will have to fight for their love, friendship and stay alive at the same time.

I thought the first book was amazing but this one blew it away. I fell in love with Nathan right along with Ramsey. He is such a great elf, always there for her and never judges her. I loved how they knew from the start that there was a connection between them but took their relationship slow. The author brings the emotions of the characters to life. I felt how torn Ramsey was between Stellan and Nathan and how she felt towards Zora. I was happy when Zora went to Talore for awhile, she treated Ramsey like she was a mother instead of a sister. Ellie, I enjoyed her character but kept thinking there is something off about her. I was happy to see some of my favorites from the first book pop up in this one. I don't want to give away any real details and spoil it for someone. This is such a fun read with lots of twists and turns, clean romance and a shocking cliffhanger ending. I couldn't put it down. I recommend this if you are a YA fantasy fan. I hope Markelle gets book three done quickly, I can't get enough of this series!

This book was given to me by the author for review. This did not affect my review in any way. 

Connect with the author: Goodreads  Website  Blog   Twitter  Facebook  

Purchase the book: Amazon  Book Depository  

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read the first one but maybe I'll TBR it! THanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is a good series, I can't wait for book 3! :)

    ReplyDelete