Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review: If I Die Young by Talia Jager

If I Die Young by Talia Jager 

Book: If I Die Young
Author: Talia Jager
Publisher:  Talia Jager
Rating: 3 Stars
Level: Young Adult
Source: e-book Review Copy

Summary from Goodreads: 
When Caelyn Noel was diagnosed with asthma five years ago, it put a damper on things. Now, she’s sixteen and things are finally going her way. She has loving parents, the best friend ever, and the boy she has had a crush on since elementary school has finally noticed her. Then, she collapses in school one day. To her horror, she finds out her heart is failing and she must have a heart transplant to live. Caelyn struggles with her fear of dying and worries of having someone else’s heart.

My Review:
If I Die Young is such a heartwarming story. The writing makes it feel so realist. There is a nice mixture of drama, friendship and romance.

Caelyn is a typical teenager who has asthma. One day at school she gets shortness of breath and collapses. She comes to find out that she has heart failure. As the story progresses Caelyn is told that she will need a heart transplant and soon to survive. The first half of the book is very sad and just breaks your heart reading it. I can't imagine having a loved one dealing with something like this. Caelyn and her best friend Lindsy's relationship was so strong. Lindsy was there for Caelyn throughout her entire ordeal.

The book is written from Caelyn' point of view. You really get to see and feel her struggles and will to survive. I really enjoyed the second half of the book. Austin comes into the picture and brings joy and happiness into Caelyn's life. I liked Austin but didn't agree with some of the things that he did. I did come to realize why he felt the way he did. There is a twist towards the end of the book that I didn't see coming until it was almost revealed.

Overall I enjoyed reading this. This is not a genre that I normally read but there is just something about Jager's writing that I enjoy. You get drawn into the story right from the beginning and you don't want to put it down.

This e-book was provided to me for review. This did not affect my review in any way. 

Connect with the author: Goodreads  Blog  Facebook  Twitter  

Purchase the book: Smashwords  Amazon 

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've never heard of this book but it looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete