Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shadows of Kings Blog Tour: Author Interview

Please welcome author Jack Whitsel to Fantasy Book Chick.

He is the author of Shadows of Kings
 (Book one of the Dragon Rising series)



Tell us a little about yourself...
I was born in Fremont, Ca., but moved to Oregon in my early teen years. I can’t imagine raising my sons or writing anywhere else…at least for now.
I’m a father and lover of all things fantasy. I’m known for keeping life simple and I abhor dram. But I’m capable of getting a little crazy, when libations are in order. <wink>
My writing journey has been a long, twisted path – beginning when I could first write with a pencil, through the drafts of books that were never seen, to my debut novel, Shadows of Kings.

What do you enjoy doing when not writing?
It’s all about my sons. On the weekend, we are always out and about – especially during the summer. I also love movies. Give me a cherry coke, popcorn with a plethora of butter and salt, and I’m in heaven.

When did you begin writing?
I was writing stories at a young age – The Additional Tales of Boba Fett and the Micronauts. I really loved those action figures as a kid. And I always thought Boba Fett’s death in Empire Strikes Back was lame. How could I not write stories about him? <snicker>
In college, my creative writing morphed into lyrics for a rock band I was in. But it was not until after I earned my degree, where I committed myself to writing a novel.

Do you listen to music, drink coffee, etc. while writing?
In general, I don’t have music playing. But there are occasions where I use music to stir the creativity for a particular scene. And coffee…can’t get enough of it.

What book are you currently reading, just finished reading or going to read next?
I am currently reading Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula by Elise Stokes. It’s not my usual genre, but I enjoy stepping outside of my comfort zone from time to time.


Who are some of your favorite authors?
J.R.R. Tolkien will always be the King of Fantasy. George Martin is pretty spectacular too – and the HBO series is fantastic. Science fiction – Frank Herbert. But I also like the classics from Herman Hesse & George Orwell.


What other projects are you working on or have coming out next?
Shadows of Kings is the first book in the series, so I’m plugging away at the other installments. I’ll also be working on a screenplay for Shadows of Kings with my brother - a talented actor who has done some independent work. He would make a great Sir Isidore.

Why did you choose to write this genre?
After reading J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-Earth, I couldn’t help but fantasize about building worlds and filling them with characters, battles and intrigue. Nothing like fantasy inspires my imagination. Shadows of Kings could not have been born without my love for this genre as well as medieval history.

If you could be any paranormal or have a supernatural talent what would it be and why?
Time Travel. It would not be that hard of a guess where I went first. I’d go straight to the dark ages - but with baby wipes, a bottle of disinfectant hand wash, toilet paper and cologne.

Tell us why readers will enjoy reading your book...
Prepare for an exciting ride. I’m going to give you knights, magic and mayhem until you can’t take it anymore. I’m not here to impress you…but to entertain you. Shadows of Kings is the perfect blend of medieval grit and High Fantasy – and I’m thrilled to share it with you.



Check out his debut book: Shadows of Kings (Book one of the Dragon Rising series)


Summary from Goodreads:

Steel and sorcery clash as the Harhn incursion sweeps through the Hugue. Only Lord Baudouin and Lady Lucia, a Dragon Maiden from the Order, stand in the enemy’s path. Only together will there be any hope to repel the onslaught, and preserve the future for a mysterious girl they do not know.
Official Site: www.jackwhitsel.com






Thank you Jack for a great interview and for having me be a part of your blog tour!

4 comments:

  1. I love Medieval lore! This is defintely going on my tbr list:) Great interview...yes, Medieval times with baby wipes would be on my list as well:)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!

    Thanks for taking the time to visit one of my stops on the blog tour. I agree...isn't medieval lore marvelous!
    And as a father of two boys...can't have enough baby wipes.

    Oceans of Love,

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jamie, for being a part of the Shadows of Kings Blog Tour. I will be floating around your site in case any of your readers have questions about Shadows of Kings or writing in general. Your readers can also find me in a LIVE chat on gather.com at 3pm eastern. link is below:

    http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981418948

    Thanks again!

    Oceans of Love,

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for stopping by!

    Thank you Jack for having me be a part of your blog tour!

    ReplyDelete