Monday, April 2, 2012

Review: The Beginning (LS #1) by Kelvin O'Ralph


Book: The Beginning (LS #1)
Author: Kelvin O'Ralph
Publisher: Kelvin O'Ralph
Rating: 3 Stars
Level: Young Adult
Source: e-book review copy

Summary from Goodreads:
A handshake between strangers has never held so much promise for discovery.

When Stephen Wilson meets Lisa Morgan at his new school in Sloutenville, it is the simple act of extending his hand in greeting that flips both of their worlds upside-down. With the gesture, both discover that in some way they are connected, and that they share the ability to manipulate the elements, fire and water. Though their abilities vary, they share the gift of telepathy allowing them to communicate without words, which creates a bond between them stronger than either had expected.

As the two begin to spend more and more time together, David, Lisa's ex becomes wild with jealousy, and launches multiple attacks on Lisa. In the fight against the dangers that await them around every corner, Stephen and Lisa soon discover that they are up against much greater odds than they had originally known, and that their struggles are far from over.


My Review:
The Beginning is one of those books that drew me in from reading the synopsis. I love a stories about characters with powers.

Stephen moves to America after living abroad for a long time. When he arrives he finds that he has been given a lavish home to live in, an expensive car to drive, and lots of money in the bank, all gifts from his wealthy parents. His cousin Stacy moves in with him to keep him company. They both start college and Stephen meets some new people. One of those people is Lisa whom he shakes hands with one day. That is where this story picks up and gets interesting. They both then come to realize that they have powers. Stephen can freeze just about anything and Lisa can create fire.

I liked the love story between Stephen and Lisa and how they had to overcome so many obstacles. There are the parents, the ex's, friends and just the powers overall. I enjoyed the plot and most of the characters. The first part of the book just bored me a little with the descriptions of how great Stephen's home is. I mean yes it's great and all but I would have liked to read less about that and learned more about the characters. The thing that really annoyed me was Julie, Stacy's friend. She continually threw herself at Stephen when she knew it was not going to go anywhere. I just found this a bit much. The story had romance, suspense and twists and turns. The ending was good and we are left with a cliffhanger ending.

Overall I enjoyed the book and will most likely read the sequel cause I want to know what happens.

This e-book was given to me as a review copy. This did not affect my review in any way.

Find the author: Blog  Goodreads  Facebook  Twitter

Buy the book: Amazon   Smashwords 

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading an adult book that contains Elemental Magic, and I always loved the cartoon Avatar the Last Airbender. So this sounds rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting and a fun read, just didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete