Saturday, March 3, 2012

Blind Sight Tour: Author Interview

Please welcome Elizabeth and Ermisenda
 to Fantasy Book Chick.



They are the authors of Blind Sight Through The Eyes of Aniela Dawson and
 Blind Sight Through The Eyes of Leocardo Reyes.


Tell us a little about yourself…
Eliabeth: I’m 23, will be 24 by the tour and the US President and CFO president of Ermilia, LLC.  I wrote my first mini-series when my second grade teacher told me I wasn’t old enough to write chapter books and I’ve been a rebel ever since.  One of my dreams has always been to own a castle; I’ve always had a fascination with everything Medieval and never really grew up.

Ermisenda: I’ll be breaking away from teenagehood this year as I turn 20. I’m the AU president and CEO of Ermilia, LLC. My parents moved from Spain, their land of birth, and had me and my sisters in Australia, I love both countries deeply. I’m infatuated with language, story-telling and fantastical worlds. A silly dream of mine is if I ever become a millionaire I’ll build a great, vintage library in my home and fill it with both old and new books in multiple languages just like the movies.

What do you enjoy doing when not writing?
We’re both huge dorks who love computer games, most recently Portal (yes, we’re a little behind the times).  

Eliabeth: I learned everything I know about social media from working at Novel Publicity where I still work when I’m not writing or helping Ermisenda build our author platform.  I’ve also started a great new job at CardLab as a marketing associate.  It’s a good thing I like to be busy!

Ermisenda: Definitely gaming. I can’t get enough of it, especially with friends. I love to do graphic design, whether it’s for fun or for work. I really enjoy driving as well; I find it incredibly peaceful and it provides the perfect moment to contemplate over life or a new story.

When did you begin writing? 
Ermisenda: My true writing fever began when I wrote Harry Potter fanfiction at age 12 and I finished my first crime novel at age 15. I remember, obscurely now, writing a story when I was less than 10 where I had allocated characters different colors. When the characters entered the scene and spoke or executed an action the sentence would be colored appropriately to differentiate the sentences. The story was horrid but the manuscript was a beautiful rainbow of colors.  It was only time until I wrote a full length multi-perspective novel with my amazing co-author Eliabeth.

Eliabeth: I remember writing stories as early as kindergarten, but never as anything more than a hobby.  Afraid of the starving artist lifestyle, I went to college and majored in International Business and Japanese.  It was not until I met Ermisenda that the dream of being a writer came to fruition.
We’ve been writing together for three years now, first on a role play site, and then on the Blind Sight series.  It’s amazing to think we’ve accomplished everything over messenger and Skype!
 

Do you listen to music, drink coffee, etc. while writing?
Because of the time zone difference between the US and Australia, caffeine is a must.  We’ve been good about working with each other’s schedules so that neither of us is the only one up at strange hours.

Eliabeth: I do enjoy having something in the background, but usually it’s a TV show I’ve watched before.  Something I can glance at when I need a break but won’t get sucked into.

Ermisenda: I don’t drink coffee while writing because I dislike the taste. You can find me savoring a box of chocolates though! Sometimes I listen to music but it can be distracting.  I usually listen to music before writing and try and absorb the passion and beauty of the song to channel into the novel. I do this with movies too. They are both a great source of inspiration. 

What book are you currently reading, just finished reading or going to read next? 
Ermisenda: I recently read The Hunger Games series and Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I plan to get through the City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

Eliabeth: Most recently, I finished Forbidden Mind by Kimberly Kinrade, and I’m in the middle of The Thank You Economy by Gary Vannerchuck and trying to reread One for the Money by Janet Evanovich before I go see the movie. 

Who are some of your favorite authors?
Eliabeth: I have so many! But the most influential on my writing have been J. K. Rowling for her ability to put seemingly random details in the first book that show up in the seventh, Mercedes Lackey for introducing me to the concept of empathy as a gift, and Piers Anthony and Robert Asprin for including how magic works in their worlds instead of just having it exist.

Ermisenda: I can’t really pinpoint favourite authors. I admire all of them, some more than others of course. I admire J. K. Rowling enormously for providing me such a fantastic series to grow up to. Those books not only provided me hours of entertainment but really pushed me to write because I wanted more, so I wrote fanfiction. 

What other projects are you working on or having coming out next? 
On our blog we host a weekly creative writing event called “Picture it & Write.”  We’ve got a very exciting twist this year that involves many of the contributors.  We’re also in the process of writing book 2.  For anyone who hasn’t figured it out yet, the last chapter of book 1 is written in the perspective of the characters for book 2, so Eliabeth’s volume will be written from Nate’s POV and Ermisenda from Tatiana’s. 

Why did you choose to write this genre?
Ermisenda: I find the opportunities endless, especially for creating the world itself. Even though every genre should encourage your creativity to run wild,  I feel like fantasy has always encouraged me to do it the most.

Eliabeth: I’ve always loved fantasy because I can write my own rules.

If  you could be any paranormal or have a supernatural talent what would it be and why? 
Ermisenda: To have any supernatural talent I think I would chose telekenisis. It is just so badass. The most convenient choice would be teleportation so I could meet up with Eliabeth and my family across the globe.

Eliabeth: That would be awesome Ermi, you can totally crash in my new apartment.  My first instinct is to pick telekenisis, but having the ability to pass through solid objects would really help my fear of falling.  I also LOVE water, so being able to breathe underwater would be amazing too…

Tell us why readers will enjoy reading your book… 
Urban fantasy fans will enjoy it because of the genre, but it’s also designed to emphasize “there are two sides to every story.”  We think teachers, parents, and teens will all enjoy seeing how different the same story is when told through the eyes of different characters.

What’s it like writing with a partner?
Ermisenda: Brilliant! Sometimes there is friction because we have two conflicting opinions but that forces us to make the most informed, sensible and logical decision. I wouldn’t trade Eliabeth for anything, except maybe a box of chocolates.

Eliabeth: A box of chocolates?  That’s all I’m worth?  :P  I’ll buy you a box of chocolates!  In all seriousness though, writing with a partner is incredible.  Ermisenda makes my writing better, helps flesh out plots and picks up the work load when it gets overwhelming.  I couldn’t do it by myself and I couldn’t do it with anyone else.

Jamie, thank you so much for having us on your blog and taking the time to interview us.

Connect with us!  We love to talk to our readers.

http://ermiliablog.wordpress.com

http://www.facebook.com/BlindSightNovel

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5371382.Eliabeth_Hawthorne

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5371345.Ermisenda_Alvarez

http://ermisenda.tumblr.com

https://twitter.com/#!/EliaHawthorne        

 

Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Aniela Dawson (Blind Sight #1 Aniela)  

A blind girl drawing is abnormal even on the magical island of Edaion where leaves brush themselves into piles in the middle of the night. As an immigrant, Leocardo is not biased by accepted rules of magic and determines that Odette’s drawings are premonitions. Aniela grew up with magic and knows premonitions are impossible. She determines Odette is a medium channeling voiceless spirits.

In this volume: While Aniela tries to escape a lifestyle where obligations take priority over friendships, she befriends Odette, a blind girl with the ability to draw. Almost immediately, concerns and questions arise as Aniela suspects that Odette’s gift is far stronger than any seen before. In the middle of family turmoil and a complicated romantic relationship with Odette’s brother, Aniela faces the realization that helping her comatose friend means disobeying her mother, something she has never done before. 



Blind Sight Through the Eyes of  Leocardo Reyes (Blind Sight #1 Leocardo)

A blind girl drawing is abnormal even on the magical island of Edaion where leaves brush themselves into piles in the middle of the night. As an immigrant, Leocardo is not biased by accepted rules of magic and determines that Odette’s drawings are premonitions. Aniela grew up with magic and knows premonitions are impossible. She determines Odette is a medium channeling voiceless spirits.

In this volume: Snatched out of their life in Spain, Leocardo and his blind sister Odette find themselves on an island with no recollection of the trip. After foiled attempts to escape, Odette’s strange behavior gets worse. Even after learning the island has bestowed magic upon them both, Leocardo faces the possibility his sister is having a mental break down. Just as he thinks he is settled in, job and romantic life stable, Odette disappears.

5 comments:

  1. Great interviews!

    I haven't heard of this one before, I will definitely be looking into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either of them yet. I do like that you get two different sides of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Interview! TAG! You're it! You've been tagged to answer a few friendly questions. Check out the link! http://behindamillionandonepages.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/you-caught-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for the interview! We had fun answering your questions.

    Hey Kindlemom, I hope you pick up a copy. :D Fantasy Book Chick, if you haven't picked up your complementary copies for doing the interview already, please send me an e-mail and I'll re-issue a Smashwords coupon or e-mail you copies. Thank you again for hosting us.

    Eliabeth Hawthorne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Elizabeth, I did download both copies, thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete