Thursday, March 15, 2012

Author Interview: Kimberly Kinrade

Please welcome Kimberly Kinrade to Fantasy Book Chick

Tell us a little about yourself…
I was born with ink in my veins and magic in my heart. I sold my first story when I was 10 and ran out of teeth to sell to the Tooth Fairy. I like apple sandwiches and like the idea of long walks at the beach but don't actually like the sand and sticky water. I still believe in magic worlds and someday I hope to find one of my very own, until then, I write about them.

What do you enjoy doing when not writing?
Play with my kids, have quiet time with my soul mate, day dream, listen to music and read.

When did you begin writing?
As a child, where other kids saw shapes in the clouds, I saw words. I started writing as soon as I could hold a pencil. 

Do you listen to music, drink coffee, etc. while writing?
Sometimes. I started out a journalist, which is the best training in the world for writers. I learned to write fast, on deadline and anywhere at anytime. I once wrote the lede to a story due that night while driving home from the concert I was reviewing. I wrote it on my hand in pen while stopped at red lights. So I have no ritual to writing other than getting out my laptop and doing it. (Or my notebook, or napkins, or... body parts when all else fails.)  

What book are you currently reading, just finished reading or going to read next?
It seems I am always reading a book by Patti Larsen whenever I am asked this question. lol She is one of my favorite authors. Her books are full of magic, romance, adventure and brilliant writing and storytelling, and she writes so darn fast that I literally am always reading one of her new books. Being her friend means I get to be one of the first to read them! :) I strongly recommend checking out "Family Magic", the first of one of my favorite series. 

Who are some of your favorite authors?
Patti Larsen, obviously. Dmytry Karpov, author of "Dark Edge." He will also have some awesome epic fantasy novels coming out over the next few years. Neil Gaiman. C.S. Lewis. Emlyn Chand with her "Farsighted" series. Andy Gavin (check out "The Darkening Dream" for some riveting dark fantasy.) L.M. Stull with "A Thirty-Something GIrl." There are just so many great authors out there, but those are a few I adore.

What other projects are you working on or having coming out next?
The rest of the Forbidden series is in production as we speak. "Forbidden Fire" should be out by mid to late March. Also, I just launched a children's illustrated chapter book series called The Three Lost Kids. "Lexie World" is available on Kindle, also look for "Bella World" and "Maddie World" for epic adventures, magic and important life lessons for kids 4 to 9.

Then I'll be finishing up "The Reluctant Familiar", the first in an MG/YA series I've got planned, and "Death by Destiny", the first of a fantasy trilogy. It's going to be an exciting year!

Why did you choose to write this genre?
I didn't so much choose it as it chose me. Anytime I try to write, it ends up having paranormal or magic elements in it. It's how I think, what I dream about and what stories my muse gives me to obsess over. 

If  you could be any paranormal or have a supernatural talent what would it be and why?
I would love to be able to tell if people are lying. I'm not sure I would want the power to read minds, that could get quite exhausting after awhile, but truth telling would be very helpful, especially when buying a used car. (I have cosmic bad luck in buying used cars.)

Tell us why readers will enjoy reading your book…
If you enjoy a fast paced paranormal thriller with romance and intrigue, this is the story for you. 


Find the author: Goodreads  Website  Twitter  Facebook 

Thank you Kimberly for taking the time to do this interview!

4 comments:

  1. Loved the interview, Kimberly. You sold your first book when you were ten and ran out of teeth to sell the Tooth Fairy. LOL. Priceless!!!! I wish I had started in journalism because I surely need to know how to write fast on tight deadlines. I'm in panic over the issue at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..So, I'm not the only one who writes on their hands:)Truth telling would be an awesome power! Would come in handy! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kimberly for stopping by and doing this interview. It was a pleasure having you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw you all are awesome! Thanks for the great interview.

    And Anita, it's totally true. I used to pull out teeth before they were really lose to get money from the tooth fairy (which explains why I needed braces... twice. I pulled the first set off!) Then I started writing short stories, poems and little books to sell to neighbors. I went into business with my best friend at the time, but I found out she was plagiarizing her stories from a collection of children's books! I was so upset. lol

    As far as writing on deadline goes, it really does help. I wouldn't trade my journalism experience for anything. The downside, I'm very sparse with description because in newspapers, EVERY WORD COUNTS! So my first novel, Forbidden Mind, was a bit short. Fast paced and fun, but short. The sequel, Forbidden Fire, is out on March 27th (I'm so freaking excited) and it's twice as long, so I'm getting better I think! ;)

    Michelle: One of my favorite shows was "Lie to Me" before they canceled it. I would love to be able to tell if others were lying. And no, totally not the only one who writes on her hands. I actually had a dream last night that I had this amazing idea for a book and I was trying to write the idea on my hand so I wouldn't forget, but the pen didn't work! I was so bummed! lol

    Anyways, thanks all for reading my interview. You are so great! I hope you'll check out my books.

    ReplyDelete