Friday, January 20, 2012

Shelli Wells Author Interview

Please welcome Shelli Wells (S.R. Johannes)
to Fantasy Book Chick.


Author Interview:

Tell us a little about yourself…
I have an MBA in marketing and have worked in marketing for over 15 years. After working in corporate America as an executive, I left and started my own freelance marketing company where I have done fun work with clients like Goody Products and Spanx. (yes I got free Spanx ?)

What do you enjoy doing when not writing?
I always have the urge to write. No matter what I am doing, it is in the back of my mind or I’m looking for ideas.  So when I’m not with my family or working out, I love to write. I also love to read and watch movies. To me, movies are a visual book and I learn a lot from them.

When did you begin writing?
In 2004 when my daughter was born, I had 5 months of maternity leave from my executive job. I started writing a story that came to me when I was traveling with my hubby in England. I have been writing ever since.

Do you listen to music, drink coffee, etc. while writing?Uh yeah. Who doesn’t? I listen to music that goes with my chapter setting or feeling. I always drink either coffee or sweet iced tea.

What book are you currently reading, just finished reading or going to read next?
I just finished The Pledge by Kimberly Derting and Fracture by Megan Miranda. Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of indie books as something new – Meg Jensen, Addison Moore, or Jesse Harrell. All are great.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
James Patterson for the way he writes suspense. James Hall – my favorite book is Gone Wild and I love how it tackles real issues. I also love John D MacDonald. I like mysteries that are issue based. That way I’m entertained AND I learn something I need to know.

What other projects are you working on or having coming out next?Book 2 – Uncontrollable comes out summer 2012. Unless I can write faster? But to me quality is critical. I have a special edition of Untraceable coming in Jan/Feb with an alternative ending.
 
Why did you choose to write this genre?
 I don’t’ know. Maybe because I am still 16 at heart. Maybe because I’m immature in mind.  ? Seriously, for some reason I connect to younger people and still grabble with those issues of feeling left out, wondering if I’m good enough, and wanting people to like me.

If you could be any paranormal or have a supernatural talent what would it be and why?
I would be able to sense what ideas of mine are bestselling.:) On a more global level, I’d say know the way to cure cancer and hunger? Make everyone in the world happy.

Tell us why readers will enjoy reading your book…
I think Untraceable is one of those books that keeps you up late but it is also an important book that I hope will highlight things that still go on and stay with you. But mostly, I love that Untraceable is contemporary in a paranormal and dystopic world. I want to show girls that they can be strong in the real world. They don’t need to have special powers or live in a fantasy world. They just need to find their own courage and stick up for something they believe in.

Find Shelli: Blog  Twitter  Facebook  Goodreads

I want to thank Shelli for allowing me to interview her.

3 comments:

  1. Great interview. I liked what she said about her book "Untraceable"...about showing "girls that they can be strong in the real world." I'm looking forward to reading some books by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita :) and thanks jamie for having me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shelli, it was great having you as a guest. :)

    ReplyDelete