Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Uncommon Magic Review

Book: Uncommon Magic
Author: Michelle Scott
Publisher: Michelle Scott
Rating: 5 Stars
Level: Young Adult
Source: E-Book Review Copy

Summary from Goodreads:
In Mira Meadowmarsh's world, Magicians have complete control over ordinary people like herself. Magicians rule with iron fists, levying taxes, seizing property, and meting out harsh punishment to those who break the rules. But while the un-magical commons cannot defend themselves against the Magician's magic, there is one thing that Magicians fear: inventions. So when rumors spread that the un-magical are building machines and planning an uprising, the Magicians retaliate with even harsher laws.
At first, all of this means nothing to Mira who doesn't give a fig about politics. She's in love, and life is sweet. But when she discovers that her brother is an inventor who's suddenly the most wanted man in the country and that the boy she loves, her companion since childhood, is really a Magician, Mira finds herself in the middle of a brewing revolution.


My Review:
I have had this review copy for awhile and just recently had time to read it. It's one of those books that you tell yourself, why didn't I read this sooner? This is one of the reasons why I love to read indie authors/books. I loved this story, it was a mix of historical and dystopian with a magical touch.

It's about this girl Mira who is a common among the world where magicians rule. Mira and her boyfriend Jess both do not like the magicians for what they stand for and how they treat commons. That is until one day they find out the Jess is one of them.

I feel that this is a mix of historical and dystopian because of the way the story was written and told. The historical side being that the inventions that are banned and commons are killed for making them are everyday items to us. The dystopian side being that the magicians rule and it's like a whole new world somewhere in the future. Magic is usually forbidden and regular people rule but this was not so in this story.

I love how Mira was such a strong character and stood by the magicians and the commons even when they treated her badly. I would not have worked for that mean woman or kept trying to see Jess when he was being a jerk. I did like the love story that evolves, though I won't say who the two people are. You'll have to read the book to find out.

I gave this 5 stars because that is what I believe it deserves. I loved it. It was a well written story that I didn't want to put down. I will definitely read more from this author.

This e-book was given to me for review. This did not affect my review in any way.

Find the author: Website  Blog  Facebook  Twitter

Buy the book:  Amazon  Smashwords 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Jaimie! I'm glad you liked the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Good Post!

    Are you looking Magician in Michigan? Michigan Magician . http://bit.ly/v9aS4U

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book. I hadn't heard of it before reading your review. I like the mix of historical fiction and dystopian. Sounds intriguing. I added it to my list!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear you added it to your list! :)

    ReplyDelete