Monday, October 3, 2011

A Beautiful Dark Review


Book:  A Beautiful Dark
Author:  Jocelyn Davies
Publisher:  Harper Teen (Harper Collins)
Rating:  5 STARS
Level:  Young Adult
Source:  ARC Review Copy (Harper Collins & Net Galley)

Summary from Goodreads:

On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.

My Review:
Simply amazing is what I thought. I knew I wanted to read this right away after reading the summary. It did not disappoint at all.

It's about this girl Skye, she's smart, pretty and a great friend. The one thing she doesn't know is that she has supernatural powers. She thinks she is just celebrating her birthday with her friends at her favorite coffee shop. Strange things happen right from the start and you start to wonder where is the story going to take you next.

Jocelyn Davies, I am now a fan of your writing. What a story she has written. I was so into the story and the characters I did not want to stop reading. It's such a smooth and well written story. The characters are so genuine it's like they become your friends within the first chapter. Then there's the two mysterious guys who show up in town. I loved Asher, while the author was giving Skye the choice of each of them. With their distinct personalities and the way they each feel about Skye brought the romance to a new level. I read so much paranormal romance and urban fantasy that sometimes it feels as though you know what is going to happen next. This time I didn't. Skye is very independent and doesn't just trust or believe anyone right away. It takes some convincing for her to truly come to terms with her powers.

There is mystery, suspense, action and just enough romance. I loved the entire book and was left with a cliffhanger ending. I can't wait to see where the story goes next. I hope there is a sequel because I need more of this story.

This book was given to me by the publisher for review.  This did not affect my review in any way.
Find the author:  Website  Facebook  Twitter

Buy the book:  Book Depository  Amazon

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one as well. Did the ending bother you at all? I was so frustrated by the cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked and was like what??? Sometimes I hate cliffhanger, but this book was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first things I notice in a book (after the cover) are the names. I hate when authors make up weird confusing similar names for characters, or plain, forgettable ones. However, Skye, Asher, and Devin are such amazing and unique names that I actually didn¿t have to open the book and remember their names to write this review! Also the synopsis was very intriguing, and with a love triangle? This seems to be a popular theme nowadays, and trust me, I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete