Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Gifts (The Gifts Trilogy #1) by Patria Dunn-Rowe


Book:  The Gifts (The Gifts Trilogy #1)
Author:  Patria Dunn-Rowe
Publisher:  Patria Dunn-Rowe
Rating:  5 Stars
Level:  YA/Adult
Source:  Review copy from Author

Summary from Goodreads:
When twenty-one year old Nahla Marks decides to start her junior year at Wake Forest University as an education major, instead of continuing on the path to pre-med, everything seems to fall apart. Her parents have practically disowned her, stripping all financial help and communication away. Then, there is this feeling, this color -as she calls it- that has begun to take over her body. She doesn't know how to control it, and the more it happens, the worse it gets.

Gideon's bedroom, Gideon's apartment, Gideon... had saved her, nursing her wounds. Nephilim was the word he used, but not quite, he cautioned as he told her a story -a story that explained what was happening to her, and why he now stood before her...seemingly, an angel.

She'd never asked for this to happen to her, and didn't want the chaos that seemed to follow her everywhere now. Not only was the media looking for her, but someone else wanted the gifts they possessed, at any cost...


My Review:
I have had this book for a while and finally got around to reading it. I now wish that I would have read it sooner. I would have given it more than five stars if possible, I LOVED it! I was thinking in the beginning this is going to be like two other books that I read. I was so wrong.

Nahla's story goes from simple college student trying to make it on her own without her parents help to such an amazing young woman with a supernatural gift or a curse as she sees it. Oh yeah and then there's Gideon. He is the way hot guy she meets one day at college, gotta love that. Nahla has been having things happen to her that cause her to see colors and then pass out. When she finally finds out from Gideon what they both are she is scared and wants to get rid of her gift. She sees it as a curse. Add to that the story behind Nahla and Gideon's unnatural births and how the gifts came to be about. Throughout the book the author makes the entire story seem so real. Two young adults who find out they are more than human. While they have gifts they dealt with everyday life and struggles. They have normal human friends and family. I found it interesting how Patria brought in religion, medical background and supernatural and mixed it all together and made it work so well. The story flowed really well and I couldn't stop reading it. There were a few times when something happened that made me almost dropped my kindle. I loved how they fell in love, it's so romantic. I personally found their gifts just that gifts not a curse. All the good they could bring to the world. At the same time though I understand how they could find it a curse and want to give back the gifts where they belong. I was left wondering about the side characters when it ended. I liked the ending with the tribe and that part of the book.

This is a spectacular and well though out book. I suggest you purchase all three in this trilogy cause you will want to read all of them. I am excited to get started on the next two books.

This book was given to me by the author for review, it did not affect my review in any way.

Find the author:  Facebook  Goodreads  

No comments:

Post a Comment