Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Veiled Innocence (The Soul Cycle #1) Review






Book:  Veiled Innocence (The Soul Cycle #1)
Author:  Krystle Jones
Publisher:  Pesante Press
Rating:  4 Stars
Level:  Young Adult
Source:  Review Copy from Author

Summary from Goodreads:
Vishka should have died the night her empire fell. Alone and desperate, she makes a pact with a beautiful stranger for the power to avenge her people. But every bargain has its price...
Lianora never placed much stock in the gods; she especially never believed the Accalian lore that spoke of a lost ancient magic, a magic woven from the fabric of people's souls. So when she discovers the teardrop necklace, she thinks it to be nothing special - until the visions begin, glimpses of a legendary empress's past and the approach of a great evil. One that may be far closer than she realizes.
What Rowan wants more than anything is freedom. More by force than choice, he serves the crumbling gothic metropolis of Accalia as Black Knight, charged with the protection of the city. When a vicious murder occurs in the dead of night, he never dreams the beautiful woman with dark eyes and flowing, black hair could be a prime suspect. A woman who hasn't aged for over one thousand years, driven to Accalia in pursuit of an avenging god of death bent on rebuilding his usurped kingdom with the souls of the living.
When Accalia falls prey to a devastating attack, the three unwilling allies are forced together. Now they must figure out how to kill a god. But how do you kill the embodiment of Death?


My Review:
First of all I love the cover, very pretty. The story focuses on three main characters, Lian, Rowan and Vishka. This story starts off with a teenage girl Lianora, often referred to as Lian. She is living with her father, sister and many servants and knights in a palace. She never has felt that she belongs and doesn't get along with her family. Then there is Rowan, a knight who is trying to live up to his abusive father's standards. At first I wasn't sure if I liked him but by the end I think he was a strong character and likeable. The third main character is Vishka. She is an immortal who has regretted her decision for many years. There were times when I wasn't sure if Lian should trust her or not.

I liked how it started out with Lian training with a gorgeous knight. Their love story started to build and then the story gets completely changed up. Lian finds a necklace that changes her life. After she puts it on she starts seeing visions and doesn't realize that she is seeing things in the future. She is not sure who to trust or what to think of the visions. After a tragedy at the palace, Lian, Rowan and Vishka come together to fight against more tragedy to come.

We meet so many different characters along the way, I was trying to keep track of who everyone was. At times the story seemed to slow down and would lose my attention but then something exciting would happen and grab my attention again. Some of the characters who we thought were lost turn up towards the end of the book while others I hope reappear in the next book. The characters started out alright for me but throughout the challenges they faced made them stronger and closer to one another.

I will give it between a 3.5 and a 4 star rating cause there were parts that I loved and others I thought were alright. The ending left me wondering what is going to happen next. The author builds up this world and events happening and then it ends in a cliffhanger, which I love. I will definitely read the sequel. I want to see what else this author has in store for us. I think she wrote a great debut that will keep getting better. I'm excited to read future books from Krystle Jones.

This book was given to me as a review copy from the author. This did not affect my review in any way.


Thank you Krystle Jones! 

Find the author:  Blog   Facebook  Goodreads

Buy the book:  Amazon  Smashwords

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a good read..Will definitely check this .. and its a series.. so definitely worth checking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jamie, for reviewing my work. =) I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete