Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anathema (Cloud Prophet #1) by Megg Jensen Review



Book:  Anathema (Cloud Prophet #1)
Author:  Megg Jensen
Publisher:  DarkSide Publishing
Rating:  5 Stars
Level:  Young Adult
Source:  Review copy from Author (e-book)

Summary from Goodreads:
Magic. Lies. Manipulation

Reychel is a slave girl sheltered from the outside world with no hope for escape. The night before her dreaded fifteenth birthday, her best friend disappears, leaving her to face her branding ceremony - when her master’s sigil is burned on the back of her bald scalp – alone. She soon discovers nothing is as it seems when people desperate for freedom beg for her help.

Can Reychel learn to believe in herself in time?

My Review:
What a debut! This book had me from the first page and I couldn't put it down. It's about this girl Reychel who is a slave and lives with lots of other slaves under their masters control. They all have to keep their heads shaved and get their master's mark branded onto the back of their neck when they turn fifthteen. One morning Reychel wakes to find her best friend gone and a token left in her bed. I found myself gripping my kindle at times, I felt like I was right there the whole time. I don't want to say any more and give away any spoilers. The story is fast paced with lots of action and suspense. This story has such an amazing well thought out plot. I have never read anything like this, it's such a unique fantasy. When certain people were revealed I was quite shocked to learn who they really were. At times I wasn't sure who was on Reychel's side and who was pretending to be her friend. I was surprised at the ending, I was like what how could that person do that?! I am so excited that I don't have long to wait to read the sequel Oubliette. This is a must read for anyone who has not read it yet!

Find the author:  Blog   Twitter   Facebook

Buy the book:  Barnes & Noble   Amazon   Smashwords

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I've been looking forward to this book. Your review has heightened my interest.
    :)

    ReplyDelete