Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Advice Girl Review






Book:  The Advice Girl (Dalara #1)
Author:  L.A. Shaw
Publisher:  L.A. Shaw
Rating:  5 Stars
Level:  Young Adult
Source:  Review copy (e-book) from author

Summary from Goodreads:
Kira and Sophia have been best friends since they were five years old. They share an apartment together, and tell each other everything.

Everyone loves Sophia, and she is often called the advice girl by people who know her. Kira believes she knows her friend better than anyone. But in a mysterious accident, Sophia loses her life.

Kira is mourning the devastating loss when she finds a note addressed to her from beyond the grave. Kira realizes she doesn't know her friend as well as she thought, as she starts to uncover the truth. She falls into a deep depression, confused and lost, until a visit from a strange man puts her in the middle of a war between two secret societies.

Kira soon understands that she is in danger, and doesn't know who to trust. She has to fight for her own life now.


My Review:
I received this e-book for review from the author. This did not in any way affect my review.

The Advice Girl is the debut for L.A. Shaw. Let me tell you she rocked it! This is a fantastic, well written story with strong characters and an amazing plot.

Sophia and Kira have been best friends forever and do everything together. The friendship between Sophia and Kira is more like sisters. One day Kira comes home to find their apartment destroyed by fire and that Sophia is presumed dead. It's not until she discovers a note that starts to explain the mystery. There the story takes off and we become engrossed in an ancient good vs. evil war.

The non stop action along with the mystery and suspense was enough to keep me reading. Then add in love, romance and all the twists and turns and I couldn't put it down. The characters were strong and well developed. There were times when I wasn't sure who was telling Sophia and Kira the truth. I loved Ethan, a nice but secretive guy who cares deeply for Sophia. I thought at first that their relationship was a little rushed but it all came together. They balance each other out. I enjoyed how the story took us to other parts of the world, I felt like I was right there with Sophia on the grounds or in the park.

This is a quick read that I wish would have been longer. I didn't want to stop reading it, I loved everything about it. There was so much packed into this short read but it flowed so well. I am looking forward to reading the sequel Invoked. If you haven't read The Advice Girl you need to and tell your friends to read it too. It's that good!

Find the author:  Blog   Twitter

Buy the book:  Barnes & Noble   Amazon   Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment