Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wake Unto Me Review





Book:  Wake Unto Me
Author:  Lisa Cach
Publisher:  Speak (Penguin Group)
Rating:  4 Stars
Level:  Young Adult
Source:  ARC from Publisher



Summary from Goodreads:
A haunted castle, a handsome young man dead for four hundred years, one heck of a scary portrait of a witch, and a treasure hunt -- not to mention a princess for a roommate! -- all await 15 year old American girl Caitlyn Monahan when she earns a scholarship to a French boarding school.

There are secrets behind the stone walls of Chateau de la Fortune, buried for centuries along with the mystery of who killed Raphael, the charming ghost who visits Caitlyn at night. But as Caitlyn unearths the history of the castle, nothing scares her as badly as the secret she learns about herself, and the reason she was chosen to come to the Fortune School.

And nothing breaks her heart as badly as falling in love with a dead guy.



My Review:
I received this as an ARC from the publisher Speak (Penguin Group),thanks to the author Lisa Cach. This in no way affected my review.

Caitlyn doesn't feel like she belongs among family or friends in Spring Creek. So when she get an opportunity to go to a school in France, full scholarship she jumps at the chance. Once she arrives she feels like this is the place for her. She still has nightmares of Screechers and ghosts. Then she starts to dream about her Knight of Cups Raphael. Their love story begins in her dreams and is somewhat of a time travel. He lived 400 years ago. They know that they are meant to be together although it doesn't happen at first. Their romance takes time and is innocent and sweet.

It starts off a little slow and has some slow moments but the author tells a really good story. I loved all the history of the castle and of Raphael's life. I wish we could have learned more about the side characters cause I really liked them. I also really liked the time travel parts of the book. The small romantic gestures throughout and the ending. That was such a great ending to a wonderful story.

I thought this was a well written book. The author took her time with the research and wrote a wonderful tale. There was a lot of twists and turns, sometimes I didn't know who was alive and who was a ghost. It's got romance, action and lots of adventure. There's even a treasure hunt throughout.

I really enjoyed reading this and it's a quick read. I hope that someday Lisa writes a sequel to this. I would like to read more about Caitlyn, Raphael and their friends.

2 comments:

  1. Great review Jamie! Something about the description of this book reminds me of Ethereal by Addison Moore (indie writer). Have read Ethereal? I think it would be a read you would enjoy!

    Got me curious about this one now!

    Smiles,
    Amy
    http://amyjonesyaff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy, I will look that book up! :)

    ReplyDelete