Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bumped (Bumped #1) Review





Book:  Bumped (Bumped #1)
Author:  Megan McCafferty

Publisher:  Balzer + Bray (Harper Collins)
Rating:  4.5 Stars
Source:  ARC from Harper Collins through NetGalley


Summary from Goodreads:
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.


My Review:
I received this as an ARC e-book from Harper Collins through NetGalley. This is no way affected my review.

This is the second dystopian book that I have read. When I first read the summary for it I knew I wanted to read it. It sounded interesting and different. It was both of those and more. I am giving this a 4.5 star rating. I will admit that at first I was thinking this was going to be some government thing where they make it a law that you have to "preg" before 18. That is not at all what this book was about. There is a virus that makes everyone over 18 not able to produce children so teenagers "bump" and get paid for "pregging".

It is about twin girls that are separated at birth and grow up in two completely different ways. Melody has been raised to "bump" and get paid for "pregging". Harmony grew up in a church setting where groups of families live in the same household and marry when they are young. Melody has an agent and is all set to bump with the perfect guy when her twin Harmony shows up on her doorstep. Melody is not too happy by this at all and Harmony is hoping she can change her sisters way of thinking and make her "churchie". The story takes place with a couple of days. Harmony gets mistaken for Melody one morning by her agent and decides to just go with it. I don't want to give any spoilers away by really telling the story.

I will say that I loved their slang and all their gadgets. I was laughing throughout. While it is funny there is a great story that is told and it makes you think. Bumped is a well written, well thought out story that I enjoyed reading and had a hard time putting down. Each chapter is told by either Melody or Harmony. The end of each chapter, which is told by the author left us with a mini cliffhanger. You had to read what was going on with the other sister before it went back to the previous sister in the next chapter. I loved this and it made me want to keep reading to see what happened next. By the end of the book I was shocked about what had happened and was like darn it I don't want it to end. I ended up liking Harmony and Jondoe more than I did in the beginning. Melody and Zen I just loved the entire time. I really liked who the characters became at the end of the book and cannot wait to read the next book in the bumped series. I know it's going to be great! I am recommending this to everyone, it's that good!

1 comment:

  1. I love your review! I'm definitely getting a galley of this one as soon as I'm done with the ones I already have :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete